Building Trust in Your Leasing Presentation by Creating a fair “Relationship”
April is Fair Housing Month, and the nation is celebrating the 52nd anniversary of the Fair Housing Act. On April 11, 1968, President Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1968. Title VIII of the act, now known as the “Fair Housing Act,” prohibited housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin.
In 1974 gender or sex was added to these federally protected. Later, President Ronald Reagan added disability and familial status to the list of protected classes under Title VIII thru the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988.
Fair is Beautiful. The world cries for fairness. It is understood as a basic human right. And being FAIR in leasing is our secret weapon. Friendly Fair Housing leasing is not only the law; it is the best way to maximize your leasing efforts. Everyone wants to be treated fair!
Effective and Productive Fair Housing Leasing Means:
- Every rental prospect is treated the same. Every person seeking an apartment is welcomed with genuine sincerity and a warm smile. You are Friendly, Enthusiastic, and Professional with every person, every time, no matter what!
- All prospects are shown an available apartment of their choice. You have a procedure of choosing and showing apartment homes that have little chance of steering or discriminating.
- If there are no vacancies, you have a fair and equal procedure for leasing future move-outs and adding the rental prospect to a waiting list.
- All rental prospects are invited to lease NOW by completing an application and leaving a deposit.
- If a move-out notice is given by a current resident that fits a previous prospect’s needs, you have a procedure for calling back in an orderly manner that does not discriminate according to the protected classes.
This is not an exhaustive list, but you get the point. Treat every rental prospect with the sort of service and attitude that would make anyone feel like you REALLY want them to lease at your community. The law requires this behavior. Yet, think about how this will impact your property’s leasing efforts and income. Exactly!
Fair Housing is the law we must embrace. The spirit of fair housing is also the basis of the very best and productive leasing presentation.m Why would any onsite professional not embrace Fair Housing? It’s the law…it is fair…and it WORKS!
The Fair Housing Act is our best marketing, leasing, management, and maintenance template of operations. Be Fair!