Connecting with Your Prospect Even WhenYour Face is Covered!
The new normal in onsite leasing is just not normal. Six months ago if someone walked into your office wearing a mask you might think it was a hold-up! Today we are all wearing one. The mask has eradicated one of our most effective sales techniques for connecting with renters and selling our communities: the smile!
Yet, the mask also creates some unique opportunities if you get creative and plan ahead. Here are a few ideas to make that COVID-19 protection mask work for you:
- Greet Quick! When that prospect opens the door, immediately jump up, come out from behind your desk, and have a strong and very friendly greeting: “Hi! Welcome to Lakeside! Behind this mask is a BIG SMILE which means I’m glad you are here! My name is Diane”
- Drop Your Mask for a Quick Second – “I want you to see my smile for a second so you know I am friendly! I am so glad you came in today!” (Pull the mask back up). “We are practicing social distancing here for your safety and that of the management team. I would love to give you a hearty handshake but we both know that is not the best thing right now. Yet, even as we practice social distancing, we don’t want to come off unfriendly or impersonal.”
- Use Gestures to Communicate Feelings – Wave when you greet the prospect. Use thumbs up to agree and show you understand. Place your hand over your heart to show appreciation and thanks. You might even do silent clapping to show excitement or joy.
- Wear Memorable and Fun Masks – There is no excuse for boring masks! There are so many fun options and colors. Make sure your mask is friendly. No scary skeleton masks like I saw at the grocery store. Get masks the feature a big friendly (not scary or bizarre) smile and are color-coordinated with your career apparel. A properly placed and fashionable scarf covering might also be a suitable option.
- Signs To Replace Smiles – As prospects approach your office door or enter the foyer, create signs that say:
- “Behind These Masks are the Friendliest Apartment Management Team in the City!”
- On each desk – “I have a big smile behind this mask. Hope you are smiling, too!”
- In your model or show unit – “I can’t see it but I know this apartment is making you smile!”
- Increase Eye Contact – Maintaining good eye contact can express respect and indicates to the prospect that they have your full attention. SMILE with your eyes using a slight squint to express the sign of a grin.
Remember the Apartment Leasing Basics
The difference is the mask and social distancing. You still gotta LEASE using your best techniques and a thoughtful presentation. Remember the basic leasing outline or skeleton; 1) Greet, 2) Qualify, 3) Demonstrate, 4) Close.