Honesty is the Best Policy… in Building Trust
Trust is A Must!…#6
Building Trust in Your Leasing Presentation by Creating an Honest “Relationship”
Honesty in leasing is the best policy, yes? And we all would consider ourselves honest. Yet have you ever told a prospect “this is the last one” when there were other available apartments? What about implying the updated model represented what the prospect would actually get in their new home?
Building trust is based on an honest and transparent relationship with the prospect. And it’s not enough for you to feel like you are being honest. You must also be perceived as honest. That might even be more important.
Here are a few steps to grow trust in your leasing and sales presentation.
- Show Your Ethics – Demonstrate moral principles in dealing with the prospect online, on the phone, and in person.
- Ask Questions – Focus on the prospects needs and wants…not just his credit worthiness. The application process will take care of credit.
- Be the Expert – Know your stuff! Not only know your property but also have knowledge of all the competitors the prospect may be considering.
- Honor Your Commitments – Do what you say you are going to do…and do it right the first time.
- Use Effective Listening – Pause before you reply to show the prospect you are really considering their comments or question. Probe with follow up questions like “Tell me a bit more” and “Are you saying you mean ________?”
- Be Real – You are more than a leasing professional. You are a person! Connect on a personal level by hearing and acting on the prospect’s story. What is really important to them? Why are they moving? What is happening on their life right now? How would a “person” respond?
Focusing on techniques, persuasion, and just closing the deal will get lackluster results in your leasing efforts. Focus first on trust, creating a relationship. As trust grows, great things happen in your leasing.