Checking Yourself: Am I the “Difficult Person”?
Being a property management professional comes with constant interaction with and navigating different personalities. But have you ever stopped to wonder if YOU might be the unintentionally difficult one? Here’s a quick self-check:
- Frequent resident complaints: Do residents often raise concerns about your communication, attitude, or handling of situations?
- High staff turnover: Does your team have a revolving door of colleagues? It could point to a challenging work environment.
- Micromanaging tendencies: Do you struggle to delegate or trust your team, hindering their work and morale?
- Inappropriate emotional responses: Do you take work and resident frustrations or disagreements personally, leading to heated exchanges?
- Quick Escalation: Do minor issues balloon into major conflicts with your involvement?
- Lack of accountability: Do you blame others for mistakes or avoid ownership of issues?
- Positive resident feedback: Do residents appreciate your helpfulness, responsiveness, and professionalism?
- Stable, supportive team: Does your team feel valued, collaborative, and comfortable expressing concerns?
- Empowering leadership: Do you delegate effectively and trust your team members to own their roles?
- Calm and composed demeanor: Do you maintain a professional and patient approach even during disagreements?
- Willingness to learn and improve: Do you actively seek feedback and take steps to address any shortcomings?
- Problem-Solver: Do you focus on finding solutions, even when faced with challenging situations?
Remember, all of us haver the potential to be that “difficult person?. Honest self-reflection and open communication with your team… and even some frank feedback from residents, can help us course-correct.